Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

IS THERE A LAW REATING TO THE THEFT (STEALING) OF THE CREDIT

IS THERE A LAW REATING TO THE THEFT (STEALING) OF THE CREDIT (ACCLAIM; HONOR) FOR THE INTERIOR DESIGN (OF THE SENIOR DESIGNER) FOR A CONDONMINIUM BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY. IN THIS SITUATION, THE WOMAN (PRES.) TOLD THE MAGAZINE FEATURING THE DESIGNED CONDO THAT SHE DESIGNED IT AND GOT THE "VISION" FOR IT FROM SOME COCKAMAMEY PLACE. IN FACT, IT WAS THE SENIOR DESIGNER OF THE FIRM THAT DID EVERYTHING FROM SCRATCH (CONCEPT TO COMPLETION). THE ONLY ROLE THE PRESIDENT PLAYED WAS TO SIGN THE PURCHASE ORDERS/REQUISITIONS WRITTEN BY THE DESIGNER.THE PRESIDENTS EXCUSE WAS SHE WANTED ANY PROSPECTS (INTERESTED PARTIES) TO CONTACT HER.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
The designer does and can have copyright rights to an original design and if someone else is taking credit then you can sue them for damages and violating the copyright law. I suggest hiring an attorney and demanding a retraction letter from her to the magazine and inform her if she does not retract you will sue her for copyright infringement, since she is claiming rights to something that is not hers. There is no criminal statute for this, it is purely a civil case.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.