Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My husbands x-wife has had her 6 year old taping us when he

Customer Question

My husbands x-wife has had her 6 year old taping us when he comes over. I believe he puts his cell phone on (i guess calls her number)and she records it on her end. She has played it for a therapist and for DYFS. Is this legal, do we have any rights? Isn't there a way to file for harrasment?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What state do you live in?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We live in NJ.
New Jersey law requires one party to the conversation consent to the recording. A minor cannot validly give consent. She is actually breaking the law by recording your personal conversations and you should report this to the DA. You can also consider suing her for invasion of privacy.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I don't know where to get the answer from, I can't find it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Never received answer, status says still waiting