How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116154
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i had a felony six years ago.(I stayed in jail for 3 months

Customer Question

i had a felony six years ago.(I stayed in jail for 3 months and paid off everything that I have to pay and got a released. Luckily i got a job after that and stayed with the company for 5 years. this company closed because of buyout. Last friday I was offered a job and wants me to start this coming monday. Late friday afternoon I got an e-mail from the recruiting company and is asking me to sign a background check which includes criminal history. I got the form but did not sign and send it yet. What should I do, should I sign the form and report for work on mondy. Can they still fire me after they receive the result of the background check, or should I just not report, but I need the job too?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
They can hire you and then fire you after they receive your background check and you need to inform the recruiting company of the felony up front, but even that will not guarantee the company will not fire you when they get the actual background results back. You should also be looking into getting a pardon for your offense, which will help you in the long run and you would do this by going through the governor's office.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
when I was released 4 years ago, was this not a pardon too because I already paid off whatever I have to pay.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
No, it is parole, not a pardon. To get a pardon you need to contact the governor's office and file a pardon application.