Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Can a company reduce your salary during hard times if you

Can a company reduce your salary during "hard times" if you have a written employment agreement that states your salary from the companys CFO? Also can they refuse to give you a raise that is in the same agreement? I was told my job title didn't change and that my duties were not going to change and the salary reduction was not due to my performance. I was also told that the CFO was not an officer of the company so he could not write a legal employment agreement.
If you have a written agreement from the company, they are bound by it. As far as the CFO not being able to write the agreement, there is NO COURT out there that would hold that a CFO does not have at least "apparent authority" to enter into contracts with employees, and unless you knew at the time you entered into the contract that he did not have "actual authority" the court will bind the company to the contract. They cannot reduce your salary or refuse your raises if they are in the written agreement and if they are refusing, then you would have to sue for breach of contract.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.