Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Im pro se in a federal civil suit. It has gone along for a

I'm pro se in a federal civil suit. It has gone along for a year or so with pleadings filed back and forth. All of a sudden I get an order from the court ruling against me but it was from a different judge. Not the one that ruled on everything else for the past year. Is this permissable? And I'm really looking for the specifics of what law/FRCP/case law allows them to do this. Does it violate anything ethics, law, FRCP wise?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
While it is permissible, it is highly unusual unless the original judge was sick or was not on the bench to rule on the matter and had a substitute judge. The FRCP does not prohibit another judge sitting in for the trial judge, it is not unethical or against any laws. However, I would contact the court and find out why another judge heard your case, many times in Federal Court certain matters are sent to a magistrate to rule on and not the judge, if that was the case here then this is common. If this was a ruling from another judge in the circuit, then you need to find out from the clerk what happened to your judge.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A magistrate was taking care of the case all along and then the final ruling was done by the Senior Judge. Does this change your answer at all?
Big difference and this is common. When a magistrate is hearing a case and makes a final ruling, an actual judge must issue the ruling. In every case where a magistrate is handling there is an actual judge assigned to the case, even though you rarely have dealt with the judge. However, when a final ruling is issued on the case, it must come from the judge assigned from the case and not the magistrate and this is just how the procedure works. See: http://www.wied.uscourts.gov/dmdocuments/GRuleIV.pdf which are the local rules and look under "Magistrates." The ruling you have is proper.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law