Civil Law Answers
Civil Law Answers, Attorney
Experience:  more than 16 years experience as an attorney - current active litigation + mediation practice
12143673

can a 16 year old child decide were she wants to live if she

can a 16 year old child decide were she wants to live if she is in a abusive situation.
Expert:  Civil Law Answers replied 8 years ago.

Hi and thanks for your question.

If your granddaughter is in an abusive environment, then you could file a petition for guardianship over her. You would want to file it on an emergency basis asking the court for immediate relief if you believe that there is an immediate danger to your granddaughter. If she is in an abusive situation, the court is likely to consider what she wants here, and by granting you guardianship, you would be awarded the equivalent of "custody" of her.

You will need to file this paperwork with the court in the county where your granddaughter resides. That courthouse should have that paperwork for you to complete and file. If you would like, I can research whether those forms are available from the court website on-line for your access. I just need you to let me know the state where your granddaughter lives and I can research that for you.

I hope that this answers your question; if so, please click the green Accept button. Thanks very much and I wish you the best here.