LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  7+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

I bought a large some of materials for a print shop on my credit

I bought a large some of materials for a print shop on my credit card and was promised by the owner that I would be paid back with in two months. Well it has been 10 months and not a penny. I have asked over and over for it and he just won't pay me. I feel that is stealing. Can I have him brought up on charges for that?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 years ago.
You are going to need to take the owner to court and sue them, to recover the money owed. What you have is a verbal contract. You are going to need to prove, that based upon the owners promise to pay you back, you relied on this and went out, to buy the print shop materials. If the owner already took the materials from you and has been using them, it is going to be hard for the owner to justify, why you were not paid back. The owner may argue there was never a promise to pay you back, but the court will look at the surrounding circumstances, to decide what should be done. This is more of a civil issue then a criminal issue, unless you can some how prove, that you were tricked into buying these items.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are some of the materials still in his shop. The amount he owes me is around $38000. I do have witness that he said he was paying me back as soon as this big job was over and it was over and the money from that job he pocket in his pockets. He said if I keep pushing I won't get a dime. Now I'm facing a very bad financial problem. Would this be like theft by deception? I found out that he has alot of judgements against him so I would be proably throwing good money after bad if I took him to court. Wouldn't you agree or him owing me that large amount be consider?
Thank you

If he tricked you into buying him these items, it could be theft by deception. Promising to pay you back and not doing so, is a civil issue, with an action for breach of contract. He really didn't deceive you in any way. He is just a person who does not pay back debts. Any time money is loaded, a person takes the risk of not getting paid back. You having independent witnesses to testify in court as to the agreement ,would help your case. If you win, a judgement can be attached to his business and you would have to get your money, through that. Some action needs to be taken, as you can't let this go. Once you file a lawsuit, the owner may see you are not playing around and start to repay you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience: 7+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.