Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I recently stepped down from a management position to a csr

I recently stepped down from a management position to a csr position and was finding it difficult to make the adjustment. I tried to discuss it with my immediate supervisor, but got no help. I followed appropriate chain of command and spoke to his supervisor who arranged to meet with both of us. The meeting took place in a small office where I (a female) was seated against a wall flanked by my male supervisor and his boss, also male. My supervisor also sat directly in front of the only door out and was exhibiting clear signs of anger and hostility in his body language and verbally. After several minutes of trying to explain myself, I became increasingly uncomfortable and got no sense that any resolution was forth coming. I lost control of my emotions and stormed out, quitting my job. I feel that they placed me in a hostile situation, which directly led to my actions. Is it legal for them to do this, and do I have any options open to me for some compensation?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
In the law, the term "hostile" refers to behavior specifically committed because of discriminatory conduct based upon age/race/sex/disability. Just because you were brought into an office with two male supervisors and you interpreted "anger and hostility" as long as that anger and hostility was not specifically because of your age/race/sex/disability, I am afraid you really have no legal cause of action. The US Supreme Court has stated that the hostile envirorment laws were to address discriminatory conduct based upon age/race/sex/disablity and were not designed to create a code of civility in the workplace (See: Oncale v. Sundowner Industries). Unfortunately, what you did was voluntarily resigned your position and based upon the above circumstances you described, there was nothing unlawful/discriminatory or actionable about their conduct.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.