INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I need to break my rental lease, but dont understand my agreement

Customer Question

I need to break my rental lease, but don't understand my agreement enough to know my rights before contacting the home owner. The agreement doesn't state anything about breaking a lease, only finding a replacement tenant.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 years ago.
A lease cannot be broken without landlord consent unless the lease permits it. Your best best is having the lease reviewed and if it does not permit you to break it on notice, to ask landlord for permission, to offer a penalty, to find a replacement tenant, and finally to sublet instead.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My last lease agreement was similar, but didn't read as legalize. I had to break that because of my job. The owner told me he consulated his laywer and the only thing he could do was keep my security deposit.

This agreement isn't as straight forward, I can't find anything for or against leaving early.
Most leases dont let you out. If it did, it would say that either side can end the lease on ____ day notice. Most do not. Here, if you can get the landlord to let you out in exchange for keeping the deposit, it would be a good and fair result. Please accept my answer.