legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
4622441

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW DO I FIND OUT IF PEOPLE ARE MISS USEING

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW DO I FIND OUT IF PEOPLE ARE MISS USEING THE DISABILITY LAW ON SERVICE ANIMALS OR SAYING THEY ARE " SERVICE ANIMALS " WHEN THEY ARE JUST REGULAR HOUSE PETS TO GET AROUND A NO PET LEASH LAW THAT WE HAVE IN OUR COMPLEX WHERE WE LIVE ?
Since the individuals medical history/records are confidential, you have no way of knowing this. Now if you are the owner or manager you can require a doctor's note to prove the need for the animal but if they provide one, you can really dispute that.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We have because these residents are mostly from out of town and are post graduate students and they come up with notes or letters from who knows who that they all have a need for a pet of one kind or another, is there any way we can prevent this kind of abuse of the ADA ? Please help we are being over run by animals. Isn't this an abuse of that law and what it was intended for in the first place !
You can verify the authantenicty of the doctors notes and you can limit the animals to dogs(other other animals) that are professionally trained and require documentation to show the animal is a certified service animal. Because more than likely if the need for the animal is false they will not have certified service animals.