How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38438
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband agreed to let me claim our children on this years

Customer Question

My ex-husband agreed to let me claim our children on this years tax return. When he found out that he was going to have to pay more, he filed them also. Now, he is stating he never said I could file them. What can I do? Also, he does not pay enough in child support and does not comply with visitation. He only has the children one night a month. I am ok with this, but feel he should pay more in child support. He said he would help with whatever the children need but he never helps with anything. How do I get more child support? I do not have a lot of money for an attorney. Can I go to family court and represent myself? I need some advice on how and what to do. Thank you!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Unless your dissolution judgment specifically awards your ex-husband the deduction, or you have signed IRS Form 8223 in favor of your ex, then the right to the child dependent exemption belongs to the parent with whom the child lives for more than 50% of the year.


If both parents file for the exemption, the IRS will send out an audit letter to both of you, and then you'll both get to prove your position. It appears that your ex should file a 1040X amended return, before the IRS makes the decision, because every day that passes will cost him more in penalties and interest, once things are straightened out.



Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.