Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Can a handwritten will supercede a previous will in the state of Florida ”

Ask a question on Yedda - People. Sharing. Knowledge.

My brother lived in Broward County Florida. He initially drew up a will by an attorney naming two individuals who predeceased him as beneficiaries. These individuals were named as heirs to his estate. Both of these individuals predeceased my brother. One of these predeceased individuals was a "domestic partner" and the other individual was our sister. The initial will had a clause stating, "In the event that "Jane Doe" shall predecease myself or "Bill Jones" then her share shall go in accordance with her last Will and Testament or in pursuant to the laws of intestacy."

Subsequently, both of these individuals predeceased my brother. He "amended" this will by crossing out their names and indicating their dates of death and initialing it in his handwriting.

Shortly before his death he drew up another will which was "handwritten." In this will he named me as, his brother, as Executor and heir to all of his worldly goods and possessions in case of his demise. This includes all real and personal property to dispose of or keep as my brother "John" sees fit.

This will was drawn up and notorized by a Florida attorney in her own office. The attorney stated to us, as I was present with my brother at that time, that this handwritten will needed no other witnesses.

These are my questions:

1. Is the first will still legal and binding? And if so, the clause stating:

" "In the event that "Jane Doe" shall predecease myself or "Bill Jones" then her share shall go in accordance with her last Will and Testament or in pursuant to the laws of intestacy." Does this mean that my sisters "heirs," sons and daughters are to be the beneficiaries of of my brothers estate?

&nb sp;                            Or

2. Does the handwritten document supercede the previous will? And if so, is this second document legal and binding?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

A will can be revoked or changed up until the death of the testator. To revoke a will, a person can simply tear it up, burn it or otherwise destroy the document. A person may also execute a new will, which automatically revokes an earlier will. If a person wishes to make a few changes to a will, he or she can have a codicil drawn up. A codicil is an addition or amendment to an existing will and must be signed and witnessed in the same manner as a will. Anyone wanting to change his or her will should never simply cross something out or otherwise write on the will. Writing on a will may invalidate it. An handwritten (holographic) will is valid in FL as long as it complies with the below law.

732.502 Execution of wills.--Every will must be in writing and executed as follows:

(1)(a) Testator's signature.--

1. The testator must sign the will at the end; or

2. The testator's name must be subscribed at the end of the will by some other person in the testator's presence and by the testator's direction.

(b) Witnesses.--The testator's:

1. Signing, or

2. Acknowledgment:

a. That he or she has previously signed the will, or

b. That another person has subscribed the testator's name to it,

must be in the presence of at least two attesting witnesses.

(c) Witnesses' signatures.--The attesting witnesses must sign the will in the presence of the testator and in the presence of each other.

(2) Any will, other than a holographic or nuncupative will, executed by a nonresident of Florida, either before or after this law takes effect, is valid as a will in this state if valid under the laws of the state or country where the will was executed. A will in the testator's handwriting that has been executed in accordance with subsection (1) shall not be considered a holographic will.

(3) Any will executed as a military testamentary instrument in accordance with 10 U.S.C. s. 1044d, Chapter 53, by a person who is eligible for military legal assistance is valid as a will in this state.

(4) No particular form of words is necessary to the validity of a will if it is executed with the formalities required by law.

(5) A codicil shall be executed with the same formalities as a will.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law