Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

What does a derogatory public record mean And how do I remove

What does a derogatory public record mean? And how do I remove it?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

A Derogatory record is an account that has had a history of late payments. To have it removed you must write to the creditor that issued the record and dispute the history along with copies of any proof you have as is your right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. You should also send copies of your dispute to the credit bureaus that have the derogatory record. If you have proof the derogatory record is incorrect, then upon requesting in writing and providing copies of the proof, the record must be cleared under the FCRA and if it is not, you file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and can sue for up to $1000 per violation if they find the creditor is in violation.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.