P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

My vehicle was repaired by a body shop and when I got it back

My vehicle was repaired by a body shop and when I got it back it stopped running and radiator fluid was found throughout the transmission. The body shop authorized the repair by a certified tech. The repairs have been done but the body shop refuses to pay for repairs and my vehicle is at the certified tech (ford house) ready to go. They will not release my vehicle to me. I am driving a loan car that the body shop is threatening to turn in as stolen if I do not return it. What can I do?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist

I can not imagine any circumstance that would allow radiator fluid into a transmission absent mistake by someone who is working on the transmission.

If the body shop was overall responsible for the repair, they are the one that needs to fix this problem.

They are the ones you will need to apply pressure to.

I would write a demand letter, a simple letter in which you lay out the problem as you see it and demand they (body shop) fix this problem and if they do not you will sue them.

If they do not solve this problem, you can sue in small claims court.

You may need to take the car to another shop to get it fixed...keep the bill as you will need this to prove your case.

As to the rental car, you need to return that...but if you need to rent another car, make sure you keep those receipts as well

Threaten the body shop with suit if they do not fix this and then, if you need, follow through

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get paid.