Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I work as a Police officer in a city that has a residence rule.

I work as a Police officer in a city that has a residence rule. I know that they had the residence of the City vote on this and was approved. I one heard that residence was unconsitutional. You should also know that I live in P.A, I do not believe it is a home charter and it was not always this way
The legality of residency rules vary by states. In Pennsylvania, the courts found the residency requirement unenforceable even after the city council passed a charter amendment establishing the provision. The court ruled that residency requirements were traditionally considered a term and condition of employment and, as such, they were subject to collective bargaining under Pennsylvania law. City of Chester v. Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge 19, 615 A.2d 893 (Pa. Cmwlth. 1992).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.