TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

Is there a law regarding post operation doctor visits. I have

Is there a law regarding post operation doctor visits.? I have never had to pay a copay for post op visits for 3 month post op. Is there something in writing that I can show my medical group. I had cataract surgery on Monday and had to pay a copay for my followup visit on Tuesday. Please help.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to address your legal question.

The answer can be found in your insurance policy. If your insurance policy states that you do not have to pay a co-pay for post-op visits, then you should be reimbursed. If your policy requires you to pay a co-pay for post-op visits, then you must pay it. In other words, it's a contract question. What did you and your insurer agree to?

Unfortunately, there is no law that would require doctors to give free post-op exams, nor is there a law that requires insurers to cover 100% of the cost of post-op exams.

Does that answer your question?

I know that’s not what you wanted to read, but I hope my answer was helpful. If so, then please remember to ACCEPT my post as that is the only way I will receive credit and compensation for my answer. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be sufficiently addressed in this setting. Accordingly, my post is intended as general information only, and should neither be construed as specific legal advice, nor as an adequate substitute for the retention of legal counsel.