Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I fell in a supermarket in August - I reported it to the manager

I fell in a supermarket in August - I reported it to the manager at the time of the fall. Since then I have had a lot of pain and swelling in the knee - further studies (xrays - mri etc.) show trauma to the knee and the MRI showed a large tear in the medial meniscus and anothr large tear in the lateral meniscus and bone fragments around the kneecap as well as some arthritis. Am I legally entitled to anything from the owners of the store? Thanks
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
This depends upon the cause of your fall. Under premises liabiltiy law, when a person is injured in a slip and fall, the property owner may be liable if the owner caused the unsafe condition, such as spilling liquid and not mopping it up; the owner knew about the dangerous condition but did not take steps to correct it; the owner should have known about the hazard because a reasonable person taking care of the property would have discovered and corrected the dangerous condition.

You should file a claim with the store owner and their insurer and then you would need to prove the above elements in addition to your injury. If you can prove one of the above reasons for liability and they will not settle with you, then you will likely need an attorney and will have to sue to recover your damages.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.