The Judge
The Judge, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Active lawyer & former judge with over 30 years experience in family law and business law.
4588605

My father-in-law bought a house with a woman several years

My father-in-law bought a house with a woman several years ago. He is still married to my mother-in-law though they are estranged. Now he is estranged from his "companion" and living in an assisted living facility in another city. The taxes on the property are in arrears and have gone to collection through a law firm. My husband and I would like to clean up this situation and feel the best way to do so would be to pay the back taxes and pursue a quitclaim deed on the property. Could you comment on this?

Clarification: Does grantee's signature have to appear on the contract?

Expert:  The Judge replied 8 years ago.

There are 3 parties with an interest in the house: your father in law, his companion, and your mother in law. You will need a deed from all 3 to put the title in your name.

Please note that if you can get warranty deeds from your father in law and his companion,instead of quitclaim deeds, it would be much better for you. A quitclaim from your mother in law would be enough because she is not on the title.

If you can't get these deeds from all 3, you won't have clear title and you'll have a legal mess that could be expensive to fix.

I hope this answers your question. If there is anything that you do not understand, please let me know and I will be happy to explain further.

In the meantime, please click "Accept" so that I may be paid for my answer and any subsequent follow-ups with you.

Thank you,

The Judge (actively practicing Texas lawyer and former Texas trial court judge

P.S. I am frequently asked how someone can specifically request that I, personally, answer a question. Here’s how: for new questions in the future, always begin your question with “QUESTION FOR THE JUDGE.”