How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question

P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29469
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend who because her 14 year old daughter has elected

Resolved Question:

I have a friend who because her 14 year old daughter has elected to live with the dad has had her ex-husband (who makes considerably more than she does) ask her for additional child support, and at the same time ask for tuition expenses for her older daughter who is going to college. She had been awarded more alimony by the judge (this is the state of NJ) than she is currently receiving, but settled for less because her husband bullied her (this was 5 years ago) and said he was going to keep fighting it, and she did not have the money to continue to pay her attorneys. In this circumstance, if she is forced to pay the additional child support and tuition expenses she will not be able to afford to continue to pay the mortgage on the house that she and her husband shared, and be forced to sell it in a bad market. It's her only investment. Does she have a case for reopening alimony? Is she not entitled to live in a similar lifestyle as in her marriage (saw a citation on Internet)?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
She can petition the court for a modification to her alimony.

There is a mechanism that allows for a spouse to petition for a change in circumstances

The NJ case is Crews v. Crews, 164 N.J. 11

That case held: Defendant wife filed a motion for modification of a rehabilitative alimony award. The motion court denied the motion, the appellate court affirmed, and defendant appealed. The court held the standard for a motion for modification was whether the supported spouse could maintain a lifestyle that was reasonably comparable to the standard of living enjoyed during the marriage. If the supported spouse could not, and if the supporting spouse's financial condition permitted, a modification to the support award was appropriate and warranted. The court found the trial court made no specific finding in respect to the marital standard of living. Therefore, there was no assurance that in setting defendant's support award, the trial court concluded that it would provide her with adequate resources to enable her to support herself in a lifestyle reasonably comparable to the lifestyle that existed during the marriage. The court reversed the decision and remanded to the trial court for further proceedings.

SO, if your friend can show that the standard of living has dropped and that the ex can afford more...then she will have a good case

Make sure she hires a good attorney

Talk to several...find out there experience with such cases and their record. Talk to former clients to verify they were happy. Its a buyers market, pick a lawyer who can fight for you.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the green accept button, its the only way I get paid.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the information. Would it be necessary for her standard of living to have actually dropped before she could petition the court? In other words, this scenario occurs in the future, where she will be forced to sell her house because she cannot afford the expenses. Or is it enough to show simply that she cannot afford the expenses, and would have to sell the house in a bad market? What prevents a judge from saying to her, "go get another job so you can support your children"--mind you that the husband doesn't need the money, forces the daughter who's going to college to work for her expenses--so where is the current child support going? In the meanwhile, my friend is not able to put anything away for retirement, is going to school at night to try and further her career, and if she got another job would not be able to do this, obviously (in other words is really struggling), while the ex-husband and current wife are doing extremely well, own several cars, including a Hummer, etc.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
I think that if she can prove that in the very near future he standard will drop, that will be enough to at least start the process.

Nothing prevents the judge from telling her to get another job...but the standard under the Crews case is if she can show that the standard has dropped and that the other can pay, she at least has a shot.

This case will be all about finding the good, aggressive attorney who can present the case to the judge and convince him or her that an adjustment is in the interest of justice. The facts you list give a decent shot at that

P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29469
Experience: 16 yrs. of trial experience
P. Simmons and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions