How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dkennedy Your Own Question
dkennedy, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  Juris Doctorate Degree
Type Your Legal Question Here...
dkennedy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

our house was flooded and we got apporved for a sba loan. we

Customer Question

our house was flooded and we got apporved for a sba loan. we have to have the person we are buying the house from sign saying that he is the only person with a lien on the house. he will not do this. in our contract it states that if our insurence was not enough to cover the dameges we can go elsewhere for a loan. is he defulting on the contract?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  dkennedy replied 8 years ago.



I am assuming you are in Iowa. But, regardless, you can go to the courthouse in the county where your house is located. Go to the Recorder's office and get a copy of the Deed and a list of all the liens against the house. That should satisfy the lender, being even more official than a note from the seller.


However, it makes me a little worried that he won't sign something. I hope, if you are buying it on contract, that you don't have any surprises in the Deed or who has a claim on that property. Good luck.

dkennedy and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the sba people said that he has to sign it in front of a notary of the public.
Expert:  dkennedy replied 8 years ago.

Hello again,


I never heard of this. Write to them, or contact them and ask what to do if he is non-cooperative. They may be able to check with their legal counsel and approve this affidavit or statement from the Recorder's office.