Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

My 17 year old daughter has run away from home and taken a

Customer Question

My 17 year old daughter has run away from home and taken a car that I own and that is registered in my name. How do i go about getting the car recovered and emancipating her? She has continuously stolen money from us and I think is addicted to prescription pain pills.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

Dear cd bax1593 - If you have filed reports with the police I have no other solution unless you know where she is currently located and can go and retrieve the car yourself. You should file unruly charges against her as a juvenile and this could be done at your local juvenile prosecutor's office.

It would appear that she is a danger to herself and others and that the police should act upon this situation. You may also want to contact child services in your county to report this behavior.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response. I have also received a call from our bank. apparently she has been helping herself to about a $1000. or so from our checking account each month. I am heart broken.

I am so sorry to hear of this as I'm sure you still love your daughter. All I can say is you need to deal with this in a strict manner since enabling her to do more damage hurts everyone. Make sure the bank is aware of the situation.

Dave Kennett