Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I paid $4,150 to an individual (not an LLC) to perform some

I paid $4,150 to an individual (not an LLC) to perform some relatively major repairs to my vinyl-lined swimming pool. After tearing out the old liner and cutting away some of the concrete around the pool, nothing else was ever done. The pool was left in such a horrible state that it cost me over $5,000 to have it fixed the right way. I have learned that this individual is in the process of divorce and since I'm certain his wife enjoyed my $4,150 I'm wondering if it would be in my best interest to proceed with legal action against him while he is still married.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You should indeed file suit as soon as possible to recover the money, since the debt is a marital debt. Once you file suit against him and secure a judgment you can seize marital accounts and place a lien on the home and seek to garnish his wages.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.