Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Local plumber broke a Chinese statue. Plumbing company admits

Local plumber broke a Chinese statue. Plumbing company admits liability. Plumbing company did not turn claim over to their insurance Farmers insurance. I found and filed a claim with Farmers. I found a like-kind statue from a Beijing vendor. Vendor wanted $8,500. No other like-kind found. Farmers said it was over priced but gave no evidence. Farmers wants to settle for $1,000. Farmers comparison statues were not comparable. Do I have any appeal rights & what is the statue of limitations on going a court.
You have a right to complete replacement value and you have the right to tell the insurer that it must provide you with proof that your replacement value is inaccurate after you provide them with proof of the value of the statute. The statute of limitations is 3 years to bring an action for the damages. You need to provide them with an appraisal of the statue and keep arguing with them. If they do not provide you with proof of where you can get the identical or comparable statue for less, then they will have to pay the cost and you may have to sue them for it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.