How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Judge Your Own Question
The Judge
The Judge, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 703
Experience:  Active lawyer & former judge with over 30 years experience in family law and business law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
The Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was receiving alimony from my husband until he didnt have

Resolved Question:

I was receiving alimony from my husband until he didn't have an income. He has now remarried a wealthy woman and he is being supported by her. Shouldn't he have to resume alimony payments now?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  The Judge replied 8 years ago.
Hello iagirl,

If your husband didn't go to court and have his alimony responsibiliities modified, his obligation to pay you never stopped.

So he would still owe you for all of the payments that he never made and his duty to continue to pay alimony would remain for as long as the divorce decree required it.

If that's the case, you should take him back to court to seek contempt charges against him.

I hope this answers your question. If there is anything that you do not understand, please let me know and I will be happy to explain further.

In the meantime, please click "Accept" so that I may be paid for my answer and any subsequent follow-ups with you.

Thank you,

The Judge

P.S. I am frequently asked how someone can specifically request that I, personally, answer a question. Here’s how: for new questions in the future, always begin your question with “QUESTION FOR THE JUDGE.”

The Judge and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you