Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

Is there a way to find out if someone has gotten their identity

Is there a way to find out if someone has gotten their identity stolen or has filed bankructcy ? Are these things a matter of public record ? I live in Wisconsin
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- Bankruptcy records are a matter of public record and you can search the court records at your nearest US Bankruptcy Court clerk's office. As far as identity, there would be no public website that would list everyone who has had their itentity stolen as these are individual cases.

Obviously if there is evidence of misuse of a credit card or bank account then that would be an indication of identity theft but it wouldn't be a matter of public record. I'm not certain the context in which you are asking this question.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your answer regarding the bankrutcy question. Regarding the theft identity question...the reason I ask is because my ex-wife has refused to pay any college expenses for our daughter due to the fact that she had her identity stolen. I beleive this is not true and would like to prove it somehow. Is there a way I can find out ?

I know of no legal way to prove this independently. What you might do is file a motion for contempt if she is in violation of a court order to pay these expenses. She would then have the burden of proof in court to show the identity theft if she is using that as an excuse for non payment.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

There is no court order for her to help pay these expenses. Any other suggestions ?

If there is no order to pay then she can refuse for whatever reason she wants. Even if you could show she is lying I see no way to force her to pay so it probably doesn't make any difference from a legal standpoint. I know of no way to force her to prove the identity theft.

Dave Kennett