Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Hi - I need simple terms and conditions for a contest where

Hi - I need simple terms and conditions for a contest where people register with name and e-mail and have a chance to win a prize.   Can you help with that?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

You will need to modify them a bit to fit your exact contest, bur here is a sample:

Contest Rules

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.

A purchase does not improve your chance of winning. Void where prohibited, taxed or otherwise restricted by law. Subject to all federal, state and local laws. Contestants may enter as many times as they like but for an entry to count it must include a picture, a description of the recommendation, and relevant tags including the specified entry tag. MY COMPANY reserves the right to disqualify entries that contain “inappropriate” content as described in its Terms of Service and FAQ. A new Promotional Period begins with the publication of a new newsletter and ends with the publication of a subsequent newsletter.

This Sweepstakes is open to all legal residents of the United States and District of Columbia, and U.S. Military personnel (and their families) with APO/FPO addresses, who are eighteen (18) years of age or older. Participation in this Sweepstakes constitutes entrant's full and unconditional acceptance of these Official Rules.

WHO CAN'T PARTICIPATE?

This Sweepstakes is open to all legal residents of the United States and District of Columbia, U.S. Military personnel (and their families) with APO/FPO addresses, Alaska and Hawaii, who are eighteen (18) years of age or older (void in Puerto Rico). Participation in this Sweepstakes constitutes entrant's full and unconditional acceptance of these Official Rules.

HOW DO I ENTER?

Enter on-line at This Next by adding a recommendation to MY COMPANY that relates to the challenge and tagging the recommendation with the contest’s specific tag.

All Internet access and usage charges are the responsibility of the entrant. If for any reason the Internet portion of the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion, to terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes. All entries received on-line before the on-line portion becomes inoperable, will be included in the random drawing. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web-site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Sweepstakes. In the event of a dispute, eligible electronic entries will be considered made by authorized account owner of the email address submitted at the time of entry. Entries generated by robots or scripts are considered to be a direct violation of sweepstakes policy and will result in immediate disqualification of any and all associated entries. Sponsor is not responsible for printing errors in these Official Rules.

WHAT CAN I WIN?

Weekly prizes are specified in each newsletter and will change with each contest.

All warranties for prizes are hereby disclaimed, and the winner will accept the prize “as is”. Prizes cannot be assigned, transferred, exchanged or redeemed for cash.

HOW DO I WIN?

During the contest period, eligible entries received online at the MY COMPANY Web site will be combined to create the entry pool from which each prize Winner will be selected on or around the end of the contest period by random drawing conducted by MY COMPANY whose decisions regarding all aspects of the Sweepstakes shall be final and binding. The odds of winning one the monthly prizes will be determined by the number of entries each month. To obtain a Winner's List, send a self-addressed, stamped business size (#10) envelope to:

MY COMPANY Sweepstakes

Address

.

HOW IS A WINNER SELECTED?

The winner will be selected in a random drawing from all eligible entries received by MY COMPANY, whose decisions regarding all aspects of the Sweepstakes shall be final and binding. Prizes will be mailed within forty-five (45) days after winners are selected. If a winner declines to accept a prize, or in the event that a prize or prize notification is returned as undelivered, the winner will be disqualified and the Sponsor may elect, at its own discretion, to select an alternate winner. By participating, entrants release Sponsor, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliated businesses, its advertising and promotion agencies and the officers, directors, employees and agents of each from any and all liability, damages or causes of action (however named or described) for injuries, damages or losses to persons and property which may be sustained in connection with receipt, enjoyment, ownership or use of the prize, and winner grants permission to Sponsor to use winner's name, age, city, state, photograph or likeness for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation or approval (where lawful).

DISPUTES

Each entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Sweepstakes, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and any judicial proceeding shall take place in a federal or state court within the State of California; (2) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes, but in no event attorneys' fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, and consequential damages, and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction), that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of California.

SPONSOR

This sweepstakes is sponsored by MY COMPANY.com, a company wholly owned and operated by MY COMPANY LLC. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel the Sweepstakes at any time and substitute another promotion in its place.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law