Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  My specialties include Civil Rights and Constitutional law, as well as general practice issues.
1987257

LEGAL RESIDENT W/ 1 DWI, CAN I APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP

Customer Question

LEGAL RESIDENT SINCE 2/7/05
MARRIED TO A US CITIZEN SINCE 9/11/04
1 DWI CONVICTION ON 3/29/06
HOW DOES THIS AFFECT THE MORAL CHARACTER REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY FOR A US CITIZEN. THE APPLICATION QUESTIONS CONVICTIONS, THE GOOD MORAL CHARACTER PORTION QUESTIONS HABITUAL DRINKING. DO I QUALIFY TO APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP?
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 8 years ago.

A DWI conviction is not a bar to citizenship, however, it can be considered among other things, as part of the good moral character clause. You can expect questions about your drinking habits and the DWI incident in your interview. If you have led a good life otherwise while here (held a steady job, remained married, etc.) and there are no other incidents, and especially if the DWI was not aggrivated by an accident or other things, and the interviewer is convinced it is a one time incident that won't happen again, you should not have a problem.

The longer ago the incident occurred is also relevant.   Although should be eligible to apply for citizenship after three years of legal residence, you may want to wait a few more years so the DWI is further in your past.

I hope this helps!

___________________

Please keep in mind that information in this forum is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not constitute creation of an attorney client relationship. Before acting on any such information, you are always advised to consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction who can take the time to review all the facts and laws relevant to your situation.