ctlawyer
ctlawyer, Attorney
Experience:  over 15 years practice experience in real estate and business matters;
11124078

Waterproofing project at my condo building damaged my balcony

Waterproofing project at my condo building damaged my balcony doors. WHile they were old doors, the oressure washing by the contarctors ( which was not to have included the balcony doors), made the one door completely clouded and there was water forced inside my dining room. I took pictures of the damage and reported it to the Condo Assn and the management company. They are trying to say that they are not resposible for the doors, that the doors were old...I said I just want to be made whole again and not unjustly enriched.
Expert:  ctlawyer replied 5 years ago.
They should reapir/replace the doors, and the management company should hold whatever company that did the damage responsible. I can see their point that you are going to end up with new doors, but if they had not damaged them they would not need to tbe replaced. You might consider making a partial contribution towards replacing them since in the end the value of your unit will be increased.
ctlawyer, Attorney
Experience: over 15 years practice experience in real estate and business matters;
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

They are saying that the doors were old (and therefore, damaged )to begin with, so the management company is suggesting that I may not be compensated, at all.

They are also saying that the doors are the homeowner's responsibilty to replace ( which is true) but the one door, while old, I was not going to replace it.

Expert:  ctlawyer replied 5 years ago.
Right, if they deteriorated naturally then you are responsible. However if an act of the condo itself or its contractors damaged them, then they are responsible. Your carept is your responsibnility too, but if a contractor for the association ruins it, that makes it their responsibility. I would put in a written request with them to have whatever they damaged replaced. Give them a deadline to act (fifteen days or something) and mail it certified as well as fax or email or by hand so you have a record.
ctlawyer, Attorney
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is great, thank you !