Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

my wife has been waiting for a court date for over 2 and a

my wife has been waiting for a court date for over 2 and a half years and she's innocent of the charges against her but DA refuses to set a court date what can I do?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Georgia has a 2 year statute of limitations for misdemeanor charges and a 4 year statute of limitations for most felony charges. Georgia also has a speedy trial statute, In Georgia, the law requires a defendant to make a speedy trial demand. Once that demand is made, a defendant must be tried within two court terms, as long as juries were empaneled and qualified to try the defendant.

If this was a misdemeanor charge, you simply need to make a motion to dimiss for being outside the statute of limitations, if it is a felony, make a motion for a speedy trial.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.