Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I was caught shoplifting. I was taken to the police station

Customer Question

I was caught shoplifting. I was taken to the police station and have a court date. What can happen?? ( That was the first time)
Expert:  Ray replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I am assuming that it is under $100 in value here.

This crime is considered a misdemeanor theft and in Illinois, the merchant may sue you in small claims court rather than pursue criminal charges.

Misdemeanors in Illinois can carry a maximum punishment of a fine and less than one year of incarceration. Your fine can be not less than 100 dollars and not more than 1,000 dollars.

The law states that stores can impose a Civil Demand
amount of not less than $100.00 and not more than $1,000.00 per
shoplifting incident. Also, here in this matter civil demand can be imposed whether or not you are prosecuted.

Criminal fines can be anything up to three times the value of the theft.

I hope this answers your question and good luck with the situation..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.