FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

What is a parent required to provide for their teenager (under

What is a parent required to provide for their teenager (under age 18) by law in the state of Nevada? (We have a rebellious 16 year old that will not abide by the law and continues to run away.)
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

A parent is required to provide a child with "necessaries". Necessaries include the basic requirements of food, clothing and shelter.

If your child is working you can consider having the child emancipated. Here is the statute:

NRS 129.080 Minor may petition juvenile court for decree of emancipation; reference to master. Any minor who is at least 16 years of age, who is married or living apart from his parents or legal guardian, and who is a resident of the county, may petition the juvenile court of that county for a decree of emancipation.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you. If I did not address your entire question, please post me back with the specifics.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
Customer/span>

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I'm not sure if you saw my additional comments - I'm really not interested in my sons leaving - although I will let them know that it is an option for them if they wish to continue in their disregard for our household rules/benefits.

As parents of 4 teenagers aged 14 - 17, I guess our concern is not to be too extreme...we can't just kick them out (although we've been tempted to in some of our weaker, more exasperated moments)but we have to find a way to get through to these over-privileged, over-indulged offspring. We've figured it out too late...now we're paying the price....at the very minimum. Thanks for your time and the space to vent. Any more advice/info/direction will be appreciated and then i'll hit the accept button.

I am seeing your additional comments now for the first time. The comments were not shown on my original screen. Thank you for pointing them out as obviously my answer could have been more responsive had I read the comments.

In your comments you state "He's home now and relegated to the garage with a bottle of water and 1 pbj sandwich for the day, for an indefinite period of time (i.e. no bedroom, no A/C, no tv, no radio, no cell phone, no video games, no computer, no friends, no junk food, etc....). (A police officer suggested that's all we're required to do for him by law.)"
I do not agree.

I am concerned that spending a day in the garage in 90 degree weather may be unhealthy for your son as it poses a risk of heat exhaustion and dehydration. Child Protective Services could consider it as abusive despite your good intentions.

I suggest that you obtain professional counseling to assist you in disciplining your children.

Thank you,
Customer/span>

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sure you'd have to say that to protect yourself and understand (and appreciate) your concern. Believe me, I'm very aware of the conditions and health of my child. The temperature is 82 in my (very large, 3 car windowed, ventilated) garage and my son has a continuous supply of water. I check on him every hour or so - he is a healthy adult sized (5'11 200 lbs) boy and has a temporary mat with a pillow to rest on - so life isn't so hard... actually, a lot like a prison cell, just more spacious, if I'm to understand correctly.

The point was to let him know that if he doesn't abide by the authority of our home, then he can't take advantage of all the amazing benefits life has provided him thus far. (His own room, tv, cell, game systems, etc..)

I just wanted to make sure, by law, how that was defined. From your answer, it sounds like basic requirements of food, shelter and clothing are left up to the parents discretion. So I see that I have provided him shelter (which I do deem is safe), he has clothing, but I do need to provide him with the basic nutrients daily - more than the officer's suggested PBJ sandwich. I can and will do that - so thank you, XXXXX XXXXX help.

Is there a way I can increase my payment to you to $45? - You have spent more time with me than I thought would be necessary.
Thank you for your thoughtfulness. You can add the additional money as a bonus. I wish you and your family the best.
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.