Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Can I sue my union, and union appointed attorney for misrepresentation

Customer Question

Can I sue my union, and union appointed attorney for misrepresentation in a arbitration hearing for surpressing evidence, not letting all the witnesses testify, and not asking questions that the witnesses went over before put on the stand.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

You could sue the attorney who represented you for malpractice, but when trying cases the attorney has discretion over witnesses and questions in his best legal judgment and you would have to prove that he was negligent in his actions. You will also have to prove that had the witnesses been allowed to testify or had other witnesses been asked the questions as prior to the hearing that the outcome would have likely been different. As far as suing the union, they only had a duty to provide you the representation with the attorney and technically he was the agent of the union and you could sue them if you could prove that they were negligent in selecting an attorney to represent you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.