Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

What does dismissed for want of prosecution mean I got a

What does dismissed for want of prosecution mean? I got a summons from a debt collector and it states that if I fail to appear the above case will be dismissed for want of prosecution.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- This usually refers to the plaintiff not appearing and not the defendant. If you fail to appear and the plaintiff does appear then the plaintiff can obtain a default judgment against you. If the plaintiff fails to show then the court will dismiss for "want of prosecution" meaning the plaintiff failed to pursue the case.

I would advise you to appear and protect your rights in the case. If you are required to file a written answer within a specified time I would do that also.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It states that if I the defandant fails to show up a judgement by default may be taken against me for the relief asked in the complaint. I can not pay...?

I understand but if you don't show there will be a judgment for sure. You might as well try to defend yourself or at least get some settlement agreement. If you can't pay all they can do is try to collect. This is not a crime so you can't be punished in any way.

Dave Kennett