Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

Does California have a state law that allows first time drug

Does California have a state law that allows first time drug offenders (possession of cocaine, meth, or marijuana) to participate in a drug counseling program, limited drving priveledges, and community service? By successfully completing the program the individual will not suffer a conviction. It is inteneded for first time drug offenders only. Thank you.

Hi Randioggi:

California has a program passed under state proposition 36 that does exactly what you are describing. The way it basically works is you are sentenced and ordered to undertake an extensive treatment program that generally lasts a year and does not include jail time. Upon successful completion, you can have the charges dismissed. Prosecutors will routinely offer Prop. 36 diversion for most first time drug-related offenses.

This website covers most of the details. Best of luck. http://www.prop36.org/faq.html#wq1

If this was informative, please click "accept" so I may receive credit for my personal time and knowledge. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
B.T. Mayer: As I indicated in my email, I can only afford to pay the old pricing of $9.00 for those on a tight budget such as myself. I'm on Social Security Disability Early Retirement since age 40 and have had multiple surgeries -10. I really cannot afford the min $15 at this time. I hope you understand my situation. FYI, the information was informative and quickly forwarded for notificatioin.

Randy