Legal Enigma
Legal Enigma, Attorney
Experience:  California trial attorney; civil litigation, business law, international law, family law
11541361

I am very afraid of an ex-girlfriend. She has a an article

I am very afraid of an ex-girlfriend. She has a an article of clothing that belongs to me. All my calls and e-mails asking her to return the article were left on her answering machine she saved them up brought them over to the police dept; botXXXXX XXXXXne the police officer called me and my husband and said we were both being charged with harassment and will be served with a court order. How could this happen? I am so afraid of what she is capable of doing. We were friends for 36 yrs and dropped me like a hot potato when my husband turned her down (she asked him for $150,000) I know what she is up to and do I have any recourse. I know she is calling my house (Unknown caller) shows up on my caller ID and I took the phone off the hook for 2 days now. I'm scheduled for a phone number change on Sept 2, 2008. I would hate to hire a lawyer for something I haven't done and if I did get a lawyer it would be out of coercion. Please help me. She knows my husband has money. Help
Expert:  Legal Enigma replied 6 years ago.
First of all, remember that in a court proceeding, charges against you have to be proven. You are innocent until proven guilty. Start collecting evidence and witnesses for your defense. You cannot be over-prepared.

If she keeps on calling, you should contact the police dept and file a complaint. Then you should arrange through them to have the incoming numbers recorded (it bypasses Private Calls and records the number). But you have to do it through the police. You can also seek a restraining order against her.

To have your item returned, or to be compensated for the value, you can sue her. The easiest way is to ask for the value of the item in small claims because it's very informal and you don't need an attorney.

Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Please click ACCEPT now, so that I may get credit for this answer. We can still communicate after you click Accept. I appreciate a positive feedback.

The answer provided is for general informational and educational purposes only and is NOT legal advice. I am not your lawyer. No attorney-client relationship of any kind has been formed. You may not rely on this answer as legal advice. I am making no representation that I may be licensed in your jurisdiction and you may not act or refrain from acting based on the information provided in this answer. You should seek an attorney in your area to obtain legal advice.

Legal Enigma, Attorney
Experience: California trial attorney; civil litigation, business law, international law, family law