Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

I live in a very large house with my mother, and older brother

I live in a very large house with my mother, and older brother and sister. I have gotten into numerous altercations with my older sister. About 2 years ago one of the altercations got violent and I ended up in jail for 48 hours. Recently the altercations have been reaccuring and I have mastered controlling myself. My sister however has continually gotten physical with me. I don't want to end up in jail again or worse. Is it possible to get a temporary restraining order against her? Even so is it possible even though we live in the same house? Would you suggest I get one and if not is there something else I can do legally?
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 8 years ago.

It is legally possible to get a restraining order against someone who shares your address; however the court is extremely hesitant to grant one if it means constructively evicting the defendant/respondent from their home. But what is the harm in trying?

If you do not own the residence, your options are limited; you can always move out or wait for her to move out, but you ordinarily have very little power in these situations. The good news, if there is any, is that she is ordinarily equally as powerless. Best of luck.

If this was informative, please click "accept" so I may receive credit for my personal time and knowledge. Thank you.