socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

if my exwifes husband fights in front of me and my three boys,do

Customer Question

if my exwife's husband fights in front of me and my three boys,do i have any right or chance to get full custody>>>
not just that, ther is alot more
Submitted: 8 years ago via RomingerLegal.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

It's all about what you can prove in court. In order to get sole custody, you would need to show that the stepfather is creating an environment that is clearly and convincingly not in the children's best interests. You will need objective evidence of the hostility of the stepfather -- your word against your ex will not be sufficient.

Assuming that you can convince the court that the situation is bad enough to warrant a new custody hearing, then you would probably need to pay for a custody evaluator to interview the children and parents and report to the court on his/her findings. This is expensive, because the evaluator is usually a psychologist and the process requires several home visits. Then, if the evaluator sides with you and other parent disagrees, there will have to be a trial, which will cost even more money.

A highly disputed custody action can run $40-$50,000, when considering the attorney and expert witness fees on both sides of the dispute. So, unless you have some really strong proof going in (like physical injuries after a fight and a police arrest of a parent for domestic violence), your road will be very difficult and expensive, with no guarantee of success.

Contact a local family law attorney and discuss the specific facts.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.