Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Also, our company gives us longevity bonuss every year and

Customer Question

Also, our company gives us longevity bonus's every year and the amount is based on how long we have been with the company but you would forfeit this if you resigned or are terminated. Sense I have been a good employee for 18 years and have never had a problem I feel like they took this rout of termination so that I would lose this bonus cause after all this they are still allowing me to be eligible for rehire. What company would allow someone to be eligible for rehire if you are terminating them? So my question is does this look like to you a way for them to not have to pay me my yearly bonus and if so am I screwed cause at the end sense I felt I had no choice I did resign cause I didn't agree with the termination from my manager.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
It all depends why you were terminatied. If you were terminated for economic reasons, which it seems since you did not meet the numbers required for the dealership to meet its needs, then it is plausible they would terminate you and still rehire you in the future when economics improve. I would certainly consider arguing that you were terminated based on falsely inflated numbers as a means to cut you out of a bonus to which you would have otherwise been entitled and consider suing for breach of contract. You have a good chance that if you file suit the company will seek to settle with you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.