Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Can the active director (of many years) & Past President/Director

Can the active director (of many years) & Past President/Director have his "director status" arbitraily removed because he receicved an honorary title of President Emeritus (6 years ago) but wants to remain an active director as he has been for 30 years ?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
He can if the bylaws of the organization allow for removal with or without cause. Certainly, unless they can prove the title would be a conflict of interest, which is unlikely, then this certainly does not rise to the level of cause. However, if most bylaws allow for removal without cause as well. You need to review the bylaws to see if they were violated. If the bylaws are silent to the issue, then directors can be removed with or without cause.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.