Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am an environmental consultant for an engineering firm.

I am an environmental consultant for an engineering firm. A recent client came to me to deterime what environmental issues might be present for this potential well field site. As the relationship grew between the client and I, I became aware of some of his financial setbacks due to the lack of investors in this project. I informed him that I have a couple of real estate investors that may entertain the possibilty of investing in this project. I was offered a momentary compensation for each investor I was able to bring into the project.   My interests in this project, was to work with him to permit this project. This project is going to go through regardless of my environmental findings. I have not accepted any deal or do I have anyone interested in the project. I am questioning if this project could be a conflict of interest and what part of this project should I potentially remove myself from.
If you are not an investor in the project and your enviornmental impact study and investigation was completed before you began recuriting investors and now you are just working to permit the project, there would be no conflict of interest, especially as long as you make full disclosure of your involvement in the project to any potential investor.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How could someone prove where my involvement came into this project? My findings have already been submitted to the state and no investors has come to the project. I do not have anywhere near the amount needed to invest a percentage in this project. However, my referral fee if I bring someone into the deal is a considerable amount of money. I have made full disclosure to any potential investor. I am worried about talking to certain people about this project, because of the amount of working interest that is projected. Do you have any suggestions to involving a security and exchange attorney to protect myself just in the case that bring a potential investor? What would have to change in this deal that would create a conflict of interest?
Since your report has been submitted, there would be no conflict of interest. If you were still conducting the survey and were an actual investor or your income would depend on the investors you would attract based upon your enviornmental report results, then it would certainly be a conflict of interest. As far acting as an agent to recruit investors, there is nothing you really have to do, but I would make sure you have a written agreement with the project owners so that you do get paid properly. Any paperwork for the investors would be the obligation of the project owners, not you as a recruiting agent for them.