Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty. 27+ years; Plain English answers to family law, employment, landlord-tenant, & other questions
10033880

I am not sure what type of legal expert I would need. How

Customer Question

I am not sure what type of "legal expert" I would need. However,
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break.

I need the following answered before I can answer your question. Sorry - it's a little bit of a different process from sitting in an attorney's office.

Can you please tell me what city and state or province is involved in your question? I cannot see it on my screen right now. I may need the information so that I can look up the law in your jurisdiction.

It looks as though you were cut off. Please tell me your situation in one or two short paragraphs. I may have to ask you some questions, too.

I'll look forward to hearing from you,

Jane Doe Deer

You filed a duplicate question - I informed the moderator:

"I am not sure what type of "legal expert" I would need. However, My wife and I and several other couples attended an Irish fest last night in downtown KCMO. Several friends and myself were coming out of the restroom and I was summoned by a security guard and a police officer. The police officer stated that a lady claimed that I "smacked her backside". I was very taken aback. There were over 100,000 people there and was literally wall to wall people. Besides I was with my wife and several friends who all claimed that this was ridiculous as I had not left their side. The cop said that the lady pointed me out. I clearly did no such thing. The officer said that it was up to the security guard as to what they wanted to do must be private property) The guard said to watch myself, but the cop looked at my license and took down my name. he said that I needed to be careful and that the lady could press "sexual misconduct" charges if she wanted to. I need to add more,out of characters"

Where is KCMO?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Kansas City, MO. The police officer told me to watch myself, and said he did not see anything and could not deduct what happened. They did not tell me to leave the festival, they said just watch myself....All he wrote down was my name and DOB...he did not run my name... I just want to know if they have to charge me with something right there or could I get some sup-rise supeona? It is a ridiculous claim, given the crowd I was with and the number of people. I am very concerned as I am in an occupation that would not find that amusing at all. Should I be worried?

No, don't be worried, and don't hire an attorney yet. You have several witnesses on your side, which is very helpful. The woman could also be some type of a nut.

It is extremely unlikely that a prosecutor would press charges on such a case, and it's even more unlikely that a private attorney would take this case on a civil basis.

If you ever receive a complaint/charges, that's when you can hire an attorney. Otherwise, just don't worry about this.

If you can't sit still and want to be proactive, write down everything you remember from that night. Get your friends to write out dated, signed statements NOW while their memories are fresh.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am almost more worried about being accused, because I know that they would not be able to prosecute based on the situation. Would I have known last night if they they wanted to press charges. Would they not have arrested me or at least made me leave. Can I call the Kansas City MO PD and ask if anyone has filed charges against me?

Yes, you can, but I'd wait a week or so.

And yes, it would have been more likely for them to have asked you to leave or arrested you then.

But the officer may have just been responding to the woman's request.

BTW, you asked what kind of attorney you'd need.

For a criminal case, you'd need a criminal defense attorney.

For a civil case, you'd need a civil defense attorney - I'd suggest one with a lot of experience defending businesses from sexual harassment complaints.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It appears I have two different experts answering the same question? What should I do?

This is your main question. You submitted a duplicate question and I let the moderator know.

I'll let the moderator know again.

Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience: Atty. 27+ years; Plain English answers to family law, employment, landlord-tenant, & other questions

Thank you for paying. I received it!

Jane Doe Deer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I sent a post to the tech help people and let them know that I was getting questions answered twice. I was hoping that you would tell me that it is a done deal and there is no way that anything else will happen because they did not do anything at the scene. I guess I will keep worrying for a few more weeks..this is no fun!!!!

I read the other expert's response. I think it's good and I agree.

I also let the other expert know that he or she is answering a duplicate question.

Unfortunately, there is no way to keep the woman from suing you privately, especially if she is a nut. As I always say, one can always sue, but that doesn't mean one will win.

If you're being honest with me, I really think you have nothing at all to worry about as far as criminal charges go. A prosecutor won't file charges if he or she doesn't think it's a winning case.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, I am being totally honest!!!! I am sure you hear that a lot...will charges only be filed if a prosecutor thinks he/ or she can win in court. I understand the civil suit. The alleged "lady" would be crazy to try and sue over this!! I am much more concerned about the criminal portion. Will I never hear anything else about it, if the prosecutor does not think it is a winnable case?

Yes, you'll never hear about it if the prosecutor doesn't want the case.

And if you were a busy prosecutor, wouldn't you rather take the more interesting and worthy cases anyway, such as rape, burglary, drugs, etc etc etc? Some of it is also a question of resources!

If I were a prosecutor, I wouldn't file charges on this case, or waste a detective's time investigating. If I were you, I'd get off the computer and enjoy a day off with your family!