Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a poster that is 100 yrs old that I would like to use

I have a poster that is 100 yrs old that I would like to use for a non-profit group who is setting up a centennial celebration related to the poster. The artist is long since dead. Can the city that the event poster was used for use this image now to celebrate the 100th birthday? Can we use or reproduce the image? There was no agreement for it in 1908.
You should be allowed to reproduce the image if the copyright was established prior to 1978 and was not renewed. .

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there any avenue I can check to find out if it was renewed besides the Library of Congress?
US Copyright Office.http://www.copyright.gov/records/