rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.

what is the statue of limitation for sueing the police dept

what is the statue of limitation for sueing the police dept for police brutality?
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will do my best to assist you. During the course of our interaction , I may need some additional information. Also, please keep in mind that when any of us at JA legal answers a question, we don't know what you, the customer, already knows about the issue unless we are told.

Was it intentional or negligent?

Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Sec. 52-577. Action founded upon a tort. No action founded upon a tort shall be brought but within three years from the date of the act or omission complained of.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I really dont understand what more info you might need to answer the question. But I put a complaint in to the police dept on 10/15/07and the internal investiqation ended on 3/21/08. ive been stress out about this ever since and what to know if i still have time to sue?
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

You have 3 years from the date of the incident itself

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I appreciate the answer and im going to pay you for it, But is there any attorney in the connecticut region you can recommend?
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

I don't know anyone personally but above is a link to a directory we lawyers use to find highly qualified legal specialists in various fields. These lawyers are in the directory because they are rated as QUALIFIED by other lawyers in their field of expertise and geographic area. THIS IS NOT A DIRECTORY THAT LAWYERS JUST PAY TO GET IN. Look through the websites and call a few firms you feel are appropriate for your case.