JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal

We have someone in our lives who keeps making false accusations

We have someone in our lives who keeps making false accusations and has threatened to get a restraining order against my husband. He has not threatened her and she is just causing trouble. He did go to their home a few months ago to confront lies she was spreading. Again he did not threaten her. The police were called, but they just said he should leave. They did not even take his name. The only other contact was one time at the soccer field, my husband was with my daughter at the concession stand and she came up behind him and started saying things. Just stupid things like hey good looking, but since then she sent us an email stating that if she decided to move forward with a restraining order that my husband would not be allowed to attend my son's soccer games if her daughter was playing. What can we do?
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.

You need to have your husband sit down with an attorney. His attorney will investigate the matter and defend him in this petition for a restraining order. Also, his attorney may wish to send a letter to this woman (or her lawyer) describing the lawsuit you and your husband will file if she does not immediately stop falsely accusing him. Further, your attorney may wish to discuss the nature of her false accusations (false reporting, perjury, etc) with your local prosecutor.

You need not put up with this sort of behavior from her... get your lawyer on this and stop it before it gets out of hand.

________________________

I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any way to block her activity without paying for a lawyer? Would he be banned from a large soccer field, where he could concievably stay 100 yds or whatever the distance named away. I
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess the point I may have missed making is that I do not want to spend money or waste time and energy on something that may not need to be defended against. She is known for making empty threats but I am concerned.
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.

How seriously you treat the matter is entirely up to you. If she petitions the court for a restraining order and you go to court without a lawyer then you risk having the restraining order granted. However, if you go to a lawyer now and have a letter sent to her that explains all the terribly consequences (to her) that falsely accusing someone else of illegal activity can cause then you may be able to stop this before it goes any further. I would think that would be worth the small fee it would require to have an attorney draft a single letter. There are also potential civil claims against her if it continues.

Your only other option would be to wait and see.

Good luck.

________________________

JD, Lawyer
Experience: Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal