Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

cAN i REFUSE TO SIGN A RELEASE OF INFORMATION REGARDING MEDICAL

Customer Question

cAN i REFUSE TO SIGN A RELEASE OF INFORMATION REGARDING MEDICAL CLAIMS AND THE AGENCY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GATHER INFORMATION.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
The medical records custodians are not supposed to release any information without either a court order/subpoena or a HIPPA medical release form. However, some governmental agencies have the right to subpoena records.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
IF IT IS NOT A GOVERNMENT AGENCY AND JUST A COMPANY GATHERING INFORMATION ON A CLAIM , DO THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO SUBPOENA RECORDS?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
That's iffy, but they can't issue a subpoena without a court action pending.