Lawgirl
Lawgirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I am an attorney familiar with the above-stated subject matter.
635143

is there a statute of limitations on a worthless check in TN

Customer Question

is there a statute of limitations on a worthless check in TN.?
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Criminal charges on bad checks for $500 or less must be brought within one year of the day the check is passed. Checks over $500 but less than $1000 must be prosecuted within two years. For larger checks the time grows longer still; but it is strongly encouraged that bad checks of such magnitude be brought to the attention of the police as soon as the violation is apparent, rather than waiting.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the warrant was served 3 years after the check was passed. Is it still valid?
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 8 years ago.
How much was the check for? I understand when the warrant was served, but when was it issued? Was this a bench warrant? Was the warrant issued for the bad check, or for failure to appear?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the warrant was issued in 2005 and it was for a bad check. I had no notification of a bad check at the time otherwise I would have paid the 37.00 dollars in the first place
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 8 years ago.
When was the check written?