Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

If I break my apartment lease, will that ruin my credit by

Customer Question

If I break my apartment lease, will that ruin my credit by not paying the remaining months rent and/or any added fees?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
If the lease was not signed by the owner/representative, you may be able to argue the lease was invalid. The owner will likely sue you for damages in breaching the contract and your defense would be that the contract was not signed, but you need to read the contract carefully because many contracts contain clauses that state the contract is valid and binding once signed by the tenant, if this is the case you do not have a real defense. As far as your credit rating, if the landlord gets a judgment against you or files for collection, it could affect your credit rating, but if there is a dispute over the payment you have a right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to dispute the debt in writing.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I appreciate your information so quickly.

Thank you and good luck.