Legal Enigma
Legal Enigma, Attorney
Experience:  California trial attorney; civil litigation, business law, international law, family law
11541361

in new york state can you tape record another person without

in new york state can you tape record another person without their prmission
Generally no if you do not have consent of the party, unless it is a public conversation (i.e. a speech). <br /> <br />N.Y. Penal Law §§ 250.00, 250.05: It is a Class E felony to overhear or record a telephonic or telegraphic communication if one is not the sender or receiver, or does not have the consent of either the sender or receiver. It also is a crime for someone not present to overhear or record any conversation or discussion without the consent of at least one party to that conversation. <br /> <br />Please let me know if I can be of further help. <br /> <br />Please click ACCEPT now, so that I may get credit for this answer. We can still communicate after you click Accept. I appreciate a positive feedback. <br /> <br />The answer provided is for general informational and educational purposes only and is NOT legal advice. I am not your lawyer. No attorney-client relationship of any kind has been formed. You may not rely on this answer as legal advice. I am making no representation that I may be licensed in your jurisdiction and you may not act or refrain from acting based on the information provided in this answer. You should seek an attorney in your area to obtain legal advice.