Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  General practice experience in many areas of law

I have a note from 1840 for $1,000.00 ser no. 8894 . the bank

I have a note from 1840 for $1,000.00 ser no. 8894 . the bank of the united states promises to pay to.... or order One Thousand dollars in New York Philadelphia Dec15th 1840. it is signed with six pictures of men and one building
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 8 years ago.

Image of an 1840 Note

Here is a picture from the U.S. Department of Treasury. According to their website, the Treasury Department did not begin circulating notes for currency until 1862 and therefore, these notes are not obligations of the United States government.

Quoting the website:

"Because the Treasury Department did not issue these notes, we have no way of verifying their authenticity or figuring out their value. It is likely, though, that the is part of a series of antiqued reproductions issued in various denominations and forms for use in advertising campaigns. The most popular of these bear the serial number 8894. These notes are so widespread that they were the subject of an August 5, 1970, article in COIN WORLD."

Sorry for the bad news.