How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10630
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what is the form to relinquish the right of house

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Hi. I'd like to help you if I can, but I'm a little unclear with what you want to do.

When you state "relinquish the right of house," do you mean that you currently own a house and you want to convey your interest in the house to somebody else? Or do you mean that you are going to inherit a house and you want to turn down the inheritance? Or do you mean something else?

Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to BoredAtty's Post: I mean that my husband sign the form to wave his rights from the house that I bought. Since we have been living for 14 years my house.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to address your legal question.

Is your husband listed as an owner of the house on the deed? If so, then he can simply sign a quitclaim deed to convey his interest to you. But understand that doing so will not extinguish his rights in the house should you two get divorced. For purposes of divorce, a judge generally has the right to distribute marital property in an equitable manner without regard to title ownership.

If you owned the house prior to being married, then your interest up to the marriage may be considered your separate property. However, if marital funds were used to pay the mortgage, then your husband certainly has an interest in the property regardless of who is on the deed.

Having said all that, you may be able to create an agreement with regard to the house that will be enforceable after a divorce. It would be similar to a prenuptial agreement, except that it would be a postnuptial agreement. To create such an agreement that is enforceable in a divorce, you will both need to be represented independently by different attorneys (that would be the case for a prenup as well). Judges don’t like these kinds of agreements because of the likelihood of somebody inadvertently giving up his rights. Therefore, judges will not enforce the agreements unless it is clear that the person knew exactly what he was doing after being advised by legal counsel. Therefore, I suggest that you each contact different family law attorneys in your area to help if that is what you had in mind.

Have I answered your question? If not, then please feel free to clarify.

If the information that I provided was helpful, please remember to ACCEPT my post as that is the only way I will receive credit and compensation for my answer. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be sufficiently addressed in this setting. Accordingly, my post is intended as general information only, and should neither be construed as specific legal advice, nor as an adequate substitute for the retention of legal counsel.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.